Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Come and join in!
This week's TTT is
Top Ten Trends You'd Like to See More/Less of in YA
I've split mine into two, as I could barely think of ten trends as it is. And yes, I know it's Wednesday! I just forgot to schedule the post for yesterday. Fail.
1. Dystopia! I’m loving the current trend, especially as it brought me some amazing reads such as Divergent and Enclave.
2. Fairytale retellings! Need I say more?
3. Greek myths. I have been obsessed with Greek myths since my Nanny bought me a huge book of 100 stories when I was younger. They're so much fun, and so much can be done with them. Plus, there are hundreds of them!
4. Shapeshifters. We have plenty of werewolves, but we need more werecats, leopards, tigers, hawks... Just, more!
5. Badass female leads. Tris, Rose, Deuce... They’re all strong, well developed female leads. Give me a fighter any day.
1. Vampires. I'm just getting really bored with this particular creature, as it's often not necessary for the story for the love interest to be a vampire!
2. Love Triangles. If you've been a reader of this blog for a while, you'll have noticed that I generally dislike love triangles in books, especially if they are not needed, or they come out of the blue. Like one does in Enclave.
3. Instant love. You don’t fall in love with someone you barely know because they smell good. Insta-attraction, on the other hand, I love. When it’s done right.
4. Plain black covers. Enough already, I want to see more brighter colours!
5. Weird cropping angles on covers. You know, those that cut off half the forehead, or half the face. I’d rather see something like these: