08 December 2010

Forget Me Not (2)

Forget Me Not is a new meme hosted by Steph at The Thoughts of a Book Junky. The idea is to show off a book that is fairly old, but one that you still love and enjoy.



This week, I'm going to be introducing (or reintroducing) you all to the book The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.

Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, Christopher is autistic. Everyday interactions and admonishments have little meaning for him. Routine, order and predictability shelter him from the messy, wider world. Then, at fifteen, Christopher’s carefully constructed world falls apart when he finds his neighbor’s dog, Wellington, impaled on a garden fork, and he is initially blamed for the killing.

Christopher decides that he will track down the real killer and turns to his favorite fictional character, the impeccably logical Sherlock Holmes, for inspiration. But the investigation leads him down some unexpected paths and ultimately brings him face to face with the dissolution of his parents’ marriage. As he tries to deal with the crisis within his own family, we are drawn into the workings of Christopher’s mind.

Does this sound good to you? Before I read this book, I hadn't heard much about it - I read it in middle school, and none of my friends had read it - but I picked it up after someone mentioned that it's a good read about an autistic child. I'm so happy I picked it up, because it really is amazing!

Has anyone else read this? If so, what did you think? If not, then are you interested in reading it? 

Have a great week everyone!

5 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this book till now... Hmmm.
    It sounds good! I think i'll add it to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it when I was about 12. I loved it. I recently reread it and it was definitely as good as I remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one yet. I've heard nothing but glowing reviews, but the premise doesn't really grab me. Still, with all those good reviews? I'll probably pick it up at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book, I read it a couple years ago. The UK cover fits the story and is much more eye catching then the US cover. Also thanks for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandi - It's a great book! I'm glad I introduced it to you :)

    Alice - I want to reread it too, but don't have time at the moment with all of these other books I need to read and review!

    Small Review - it's a great book, but if it doesn't grab you then you should probably put it off until you feel like reading it :)

    Shannon - I'm glad you liked it too! I haven't seen the US cover, but I'll have a look! And you're very welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!