14 June 2012

Everneath by Brodi Ashton



Everneath by Brodi Ashton
Everneath #1
Release Date: January 24, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Rating: Enjoyable



Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's... - Goodreads

Everneath provides a very fresh take on Greek mythology. I am always cautious when it comes to retellings of the Greek myths that I adore, but made sure I went into this one with an open mind. Thankfully, I ended up falling in love with Brodi Ashton's original story and I really liked this book.

The story is told from Nikki's point of view, and takes place both in the past and the present day. In the past, there is a countdown to the Feed, and in the present there is a countdown towards when Nikki has to go back to the Everneath.

I was a little confused in the beginning, because the reader was kept very much in the dark. However, I think this worked well because it kept me reading to discover what the heck was going on with these immortal creatures, and what happened to the main character when she was in the Everneath.

I liked the main character, Nikki, well enough, although she made some really stupid, hypocritical decisions and she was very slow to figure things out. This became quite frustrating.

There is a love triangle in this book, in case you couldn't tell by the synopsis. I have very strong feelings about one corner of the triangle, but first let's talk about Jake.

Jake is my HERO. I love him so, so much. He was definitely my favourite part of the novel, mostly because of the way he handled everything that was happening around him. While his scenes with Nikki were a little cheesy and almost cringeworthy at times, I still adored him.

Then there's Cole. I didn't like him AT ALL. I was hoping nothing would happen between him and Nikki and I hope nothing happens between them in the sequel/s. Cole was abusive, controlling and almost violent. I don't get the appeal. I was hoping he would die starting from the first few chapters. I think if anything can keep me from reading the sequel/s, it would be him.

Overall, this was a very good book and I loved the original take on the Greek myths that were explored. I am really looking forward to seeing what other myths Brodi Ashton explores in the sequels!


Everneath series:
1. Everneath
2. Everbound

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I love it too! And I didn't like Cole at all! Keep our fingers crossed that nothing will happen between him and Nikki in the series. Thanks for sharing!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five* Yep, my fingers will be crossed right along with yours.

      Delete
  2. I am a big fan of Greek mythology and I thought your review was excellent. You gave me information about the book- but still made me curious to read it. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it if you do get around to reading it :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!