25 July 2012

Summer Book Talk: Day One - Heather Anastasiu, Author of Glitch!


To kick off the Summer Book Talk with a bang, we have a much anticipated debut author here on the blog! I read Heather Anastasiu's book, Glitch, a couple of weeks ago, and absolutely adored it. It's definitely a must read book this summer, so make sure you get your hands on it when it's released at the beginning of August. If you want to know more of my thoughts on it, then you can check out my review of Glitch here!

Looking at the stunning cover, how could you not want to read it?
Anywho, let's get on with the questions and answers, shall we? 

1. Can you describe your book Glitch in three words? 
Dystopia. Superpowers. Love.

2. What inspired you to write a science fiction novel? 
I've always loved sci-fi because it takes the fringe of scientific possibility and pushes it to it's creepiest possibilities. When sci-fi is done right, the worlds are just believable enough to make your hair stand up.

3. When did you realise that you wanted to be a writer? 
I wanted to be a writer in forth grade once my teacher told me you could do it as a profession! That's why my first novel is dedicated to her. 

4. Do you base your writing on your own past experiences? 
Lol, not too much since I live in a very free society. But I did try to interject the themes of what I experienced as a teenager when I really the world of emotion was first really opening up for me and everything seemed suddenly so vibrant and alive.

5. Where do you usually like to write and/or read? 
My couch, for both!

6. What are some of your favourite books you’ve read recently? 
I just read and loved Beth Revis' A Million Suns. Another summer release I really enjoyed is Anne Greenwood Brown's Lies Beneath. (A: YES, Beth Revis' trilogy is - so far - AMAZING.)

7. Do you have any favourite movies or shows? Do these relate to the novels you write in any way?
DOCTOR WHO. I absolutely try to think like the writer's of Doctor Who whenever I find myself lacking inspiration. I was just rewatching some of last season's episodes this week, and even though I've seen some of them three times, they still give me chillbumps. 


8. What is one thing that you can’t do without when you’re writing?
Definitely music, usually set to the Pandora station of Epic Soundtracks. That way I can envision my scenes like in a movie, with emotional music playing in the background :) 


9. How is the writing process for you? Do you sit and write until you are out of ideas or do you set a schedule for yourself? 
I set a schedule. I try to get up and write for a couple of hours every morning at least. Sometimes I'll set word counts for myself to meet. Whatever schedule I set, I'm pretty good about sticking too. I try not to let up for even a day or two, because then there's too much resistance when I get back to it. 


10. What are your plans for the next book? Different genre? A standalone, or a series? 
Series. Glitch is the first in a trilogy, and I'm so excited that St. Martin's is releasing the books every sixth months, so readers won't have to wait so long between instalments.


Thank you so much for answering my questions, Heather! YES, to Doctor Who! Stephen Moffat is the bane of my life.




Be sure to check out Maji Bookshelf today for a Know Your Publicist post, which provides a lot of insight into the world of publishing. And Kindle and Me is hosting fellow blogger Adeeb from Bookville!



11 comments:

  1. Great interview Amber :)
    Enjoyed this post

    Adeeb @ Bookville

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview! I loved this book and I love reading interviews with authors that I've just finished reading they always fascinate me I'm not sure why =)

    ~Paige @ Comfort Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Doctor Who as well - a great mix of fun and serious in a show! Great interview!

    Mel S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad the waiting period for the next books will be every six months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! I loved reading Glitch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome :) It's so cool that the books will be released every six months. I hate waiting a year for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice interview! I really need to read Glitch- it seems so interesting! And Doctor Who! Whoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. GGAAHH I also LOVE Doctor Who! It is an excellent place to draw inspiration from =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I am starting Glitch next week! Can't wait! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished reading Glitch, good dystopian

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!