09 January 2014

Taste of Darkness by Maria V. Snyder

Taste of Darkness by Maria V. Snyder
Healer #3
Release Date: January 3, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin
Source: Publisher (NetGalley)
Star Rating: 
Rating: Bland

She's fought death and won. But how can she fight her fears?

Avry knows hardship and trouble. She fought the plague and survived. She took on King Tohon and defeated him. But now her heart-mate, Kerrick, is missing, and Avry fears he's gone forever.

But there's a more immediate threat. The Skeleton King plots to claim the Fifteen Realms for his own. With armies in disarray and the dead not staying down, Avry's healing powers are needed now more than ever.Torn between love and loyalty, Avry must choose her path carefully. For the future of her world depends on her decision.


Okay, so this entire series has been one giant letdown for me. I am a huge fan of Snyder's Study and Inside series, but the Healer series has been disappointing me the whole way through. Why did I keep reading? I hear you ask. I hoped it would get better. Like I said, the previous two series of Snyder's (that I have read) were fantastic. Poison Study remains one of my all time favourite books. I couldn't not try. 

But my attempts didn't work. I just really dislike this series as a whole. There was no epically grand finale to pick this series up, and the book itself fell flat. 

Something about Avry's voice just isn't engaging. I haven't been able to relate to her much of the way through this series, and sometimes that's not a problem if a character can pull me in. Avry did not. She was likeable in the first book, somewhat okay in the second, but in this one she just sent me to sleep.  

It didn't help that I'm not a fan of any of the characters in this series, not just Avry. I feel like they're a rehash of the characters in Snyder's Study series, and there was nothing to make them unique. I especially hate Kerrick, who was an abusive arsehole in the first book, and who certainly didn't improve once we got a look inside his head. I will not forgive a man who beats a woman. Full stop. Period. The end.

Another problem I had with this book was that there was little action in the beginning. After the somewhat thrilling ending of book two, I was expecting a lot more to be happening at the beginning of this one. But no, the characters traipsed around the forests and caves and whatnot, talking to Lilies and ... that's pretty much it. On top of the less than thrilling characters, this plot was a bust.

I wouldn't recommend this series, especially if you're a fan of the Study series since the characters are giant rip-offs and none of them feel developed. I felt no connection to any of them, let alone sympathy or emotions towards them. I was hoping for a grand finale, instead I fell asleep while reading it. If you're looking for a good fantasy series, I would recommend trying the Study series by Snyder, the Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo, or Graceling by Kristin Cashore instead.

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH YES. Thank you. I absolutely loathed Kerrick in book 1 and didn't even bother with the rest of the series. Snyder did that abusive-piece-of-human-crap-turns-love-interest in the Glass series too and it made me so, so angry. Kerrick hit Avery and we're just supposed to be okay with that? Because I'm not!

    The Glass and Healer series also terrifiy me for the follow-up Study books that were announced last year. The Study series is one of my all-time favorites, and I loved the Inside series. I'll probably wait to read them just in case they're bad, so they can't spoil future Study rereads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is AWFUL! I only kept reading because I love the Study series, so felt like I should continue to see if this trilogy gets any better. I absolutely hate Kerrick, and if this type of character is a trend then I'm not sure I want to continue reading the Study series when those books come out, or if I'm going to pick up the Glass trilogy.

      I think I'm going to do the same as you, and check out the reviews before I pick them up. I can't have my memories of the Study series tarnished because of some arsehat character.

      Delete
  2. *craughs* THAT COVER. Maria V. Snyder pissed all the country's designers off.

    So I made Jessie spoil this for me after the partial shitfest that was book two and I cannot fucking believe how entirely terrible this series got. Book one was so much fun, but book two adds a mostly unnecessary POV and repeats the cliffhanger. Eight million people come back from the dead.

    What's funny though is that I feel like we hated completely different elements, but the result is the same. I've not read the Study series, though, so I can't comment on that. I'm scared of the fact I own them all now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!