05 May 2011

Book Review: Looking For Alaska by John Green

Looking For Alaska by John Green
Release Date: 31st March 2011 (UK)
Publisher: HarperCollins
Rating: 5 out of 5
Recommended? YES!
Buy the Book: Amazon US

Miles is sent to a new boarding school in Alabama, where he instantly becomes friends with his roommate, the Colonel, and his friends. One of those being Alaska. The plot focuses on Miles as he settles in to the new school and plays pranks with his friends. Because Miles’ friends are sort of rivals to what they call the Weekday Warriors, aka the rich kids. And this rivalry came about because someone got two people thrown out of school and expelled, so now both groups want revenge.

There are a few surprises thrown in there, a couple of which I saw coming once I got to know the characters a bit more, and a couple that I had no idea about until they happened. Brilliant job, Mr John Green.

Miles was one of the most adorable male characters that I have ever read about – he’s so sweet! I really loved watching his true self come out as he settled into school. I don’t really have much else to say about him because I summed it up right there! Oh, but I must mention that Miles’ fascination with famous last words is... well, fascinating! I hear John Green also shares this obsession!

I loved Alaska’s character too. I’m not sure why, because I found her to be really annoying, but I thought she was very interesting and I ended up falling in love with her too. I guess it was her charm!

I don’t have much else to say other than this book is the first JG book I’ve read, and I have fallen in love. With everything. I won’t go on, because I’ll end up gushing again, but if you haven’t already read this book then please please PLEASE go and buy it/borrow it. It’s truly amazing. The description on the back says it’s a “vivid, intriguing and touching" read.

Vivid? CHECK. Intriguing? CHECK. Touching? DOUBLE CHECK.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Looking for Alaska! I read it recently, and it was also the first John Green book I read. I loved everything about it, especially the philosophical questions it poses at the end.
    John Green's now one of my favorite authors, and I've now read Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I reviewed both and I really recommend them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this book recently! I'm kind of upset with myself for not reading it yet, but you know how that goes...
    Glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm even more happy that I bought this book this week :) Thanks for a great review. I really enjoyed your gushing lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!