02 July 2013

Top Ten Most Intimidating Books

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. 

1. The Diviners by Libba Bray
It's not even the size that intimidates me on this one. I can deal with long books. And 600 pages isn't even that long in the grand scheme of things. But the thing is, I really hated Beauty Queens. I really don't know if I will like this one, but I want to give it a go anyway. Once I pluck up the courage, of course.

2. A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin
Once again, size doesn't matter. I'm more worried about finishing it and then having to wait years for the next book. The year it takes between YA books is long enough!

3. 1984 by George Orwell
Because I know this is going to make me paranoid.

4. Under the Dome by Stephen King
This has been sitting on my bookshelf for years. I think my mum gave it to me when I was 18. This is one of the few books where size DOES intimidate me, because the hardback is enormous and the writing is tiny.

5. IT by Stephen King
I am deathly afraid of clowns.
6. The Ask and the Answer & Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness
Because apparently these books are awful and heartbreaking and terrible. Whilst also being award winners.

7. The Scorch Trials & The Death Cure by James Dashner
Lots of people have loved The Maze Runner, but hated these two books. I'm very nervous about picking them up! I've had The Scorch Trials on my shelf for about two years now, and still haven't worked up the courage to pick it up. Soon!

8. The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett 
Have you seen how many books are in this series? What if I love this one and just HAVE to buy the rest?

9. Maximum Ride by James Patterson
A lot of people love this series, and a lot of people don't. I have the first two books and I'm not sure I want to find out which side I'm on just yet.

10. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
No, I still haven't read this, and no I don't really want to. For the foreseeable future, anyway. I'm said before that I love books that make me cry, but I really don't think I could handle this one any time soon, especially since I lost my grandmother to cancer.
What about you, which books do you find intimidating? Are you laughing at my choices? 

18 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm sad to see TFiOS on here. My grandpa died from cancer, and my mother had it too, and I still loved the book. I think the ending is more uplifting than anything, even if it makes you cry. But I understand.

    Game of Thrones is on my list haha. But because of the length. Ugh. But I really want to read it. *sigh*

    I'm one of those people who didn't like The Scorch Trials. The Maze Runner was cool but the Scorch Trials were just meh and creeped me out a bit too much. I dunno.

    I want to read the Diviners too! But the length's holding me back there as well. *sigh* I'm such a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intimidated by The Diviners is because they say it's a creepy book. I don't like anything creepy or scary. I don't think I'll read that in foreseeable future too.

    Here's my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series so I am begging you if you want to start this series DON'T start with The Color of Magic. I know it's the first book written but it's one of those series were you don't have to read the books in order of publication and I highly encourage you not to. I started this series with Wyrd Sisters but I also love Mort and Guards! Guards! but if you start with The Color of Magic I am not sure if you'll like it. This book contains a really detailed introduction and many many explanations. A lot of people say that it's a pretty dull book and not the perfect introduction to this excellent world. So please, please, please, please don't start with The Color of Magic (or do if you don't want to buy all the books in the series ;)).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand your reasoning behind having not picked up AFiOS. Also, I too have the first book of Maximum Ride on my shelves and just haven't picked it up yet, for the reasons you stated above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have a huge hardback edition of Under the Dome, it's scary to even look at the book. It's enormous. And of course it made in my TTT too.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Diviners by Libba Bray

    no shush no this book is glorious perfection and i love it so much it makes me want to cry, it's like criminal minds, supernatural, the great gatsby and buffy all in one beautiful story set in the most amazingly vivid world - plus POC main characters!

    do it, doooooo it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrified of clowns. Absolutely. I once watched The Clown at Midnight in the dark and I couldn't sleep for weeks. For that reason alone, I don't think I could put myself through IT. I've never read anything by Stephen King, but I'm a wuss, so I don't know if it'd be in my best interests to read his books. Maybe one day...
    As to The Diviners, I think I really want to read it. But I heard mixed reviews on Beauty Queens, and I am in love with The Gemma Doyle trilogy. I'm just afraid that her other books won't live up to A Great and Terrible Beauty in my mind. Which is why I haven't read A Casual Vacancy yet either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. George R. R. Martin and Under the Dome are both on my list as well! I really enjoyed 1984 and The Diviners, which is the only book I've read by Bray, but I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, The fault in our stars was sad, but not so sad that it was depressing. I actually laughed a lot, because Hazel & August are the most hopeful and cutest characters I've read about in a while. But I definitely understand where you hesitance to read it comes from :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the more technology advances, the creepier and closer to reality that 1984 gets…. I really liked The Scorch Trial and the Death Cure if that helps. The different ways the insanity shows up is really interesting. And they were definitely action-packed!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really have trouble with books that I know will make me sad...I typically stay away. Granted, if I read them I'd probably love it but--just can't make myself do it. I really hope Martin doesn't take years and years for the next of his books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list. The Diviners is completely different to Beauty Queens and I'm sure you will enjoy it! Anything by Stephen King scares me.... only because I always get nightmares after watching a scary movie so I can't even imagine a scary book!!! I haven't started Game of Thrones yet mainly because the size of the book and then the length of the series, but I know I'll enjoy it.

    Ange @ Moonlight Reader
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE fan of the Chaos Walking Trilogy. It is heartbreaking but so worth reading. Go on & give Todd Hewitt another go! :-)

    Also I love TFiOS, because of Augustus Waters. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Fault in Our Stars is a really beautiful story Amber- but make sure you are ready to read it. I don't know that I can start the Song of Ice and Fire series- the wait would kill me and I can't do that.

    I hope you pick up some of these books soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also lost my grandmother to cancer and I never thought I would actually end up enjoying TFiOS (put it off for a really long time) but it ended up impressing me so much. It's one of my favorite books, though I'm not sure if my heart is ready for a re-read anytime soon.

    And I'm also still undecided about The Diviners. It sounds pretty cool but I gave up on Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle trilogy. Though maybe I have to finish that one someday. I DON'T KNOWWW. Random comment is random.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was also very hesitant to start The Fault in Our Stars but that was more because of the hype than anything else. Also, I've seen The Diviners on a lot of lists this week and it's kind of puzzling... and length also never intimidates me but the complexity does like when it comes to classics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, something about The Diviners intimates me, as does George R. R. Martin, 1984, Under the Dome, Maximum Ride. I'm not really a James Patterson fan, especially since he's not really a writer anymore and mostly just has people write for him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love Patrick Ness SO MUCH. Just make sure you have the first two books handy or you'll go crazy when you finish book one--I about threw my book across the room! :D <---This was *not* my face at the time. AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!