31 July 2013

July Wrap Up and August TBR

July turn out a lot better than I thought it would! I mean, I caught a horrible cold and lost my voice for a few days, but the fact that I read a bunch of amazing books made up for it. I didn't despise any of my ten reads this month, and, like I just mentioned, I finally reached my goal of double figures! I'm so pleased. 


Books Read in July

1. Angelfall by Susan Ee || Review
2. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller || Review
3. Ten by Gretchen McNeil || Review
4. Room by Emma Donoghue || Review
5. Zom-B City by Darren Shan || Review
6. All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
7. 1984 by George Orwell
8. Glass Houses by Rachel Caine
9. The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
10. Fire with Fire by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Currently Reading

I'm currently in the middle of a bunch of books, but only a couple of these are what I'm regularly picking up. The others have been set aside, but I thought I'd stick them in here anyway.

Don't Turn Around by Michelle Gagnon - I've only just started this, but the action kicked off in the first chapter. I'm impressed!
A Storm of Swords Part Two: Blood and Gold by George R. R. Martin - I want to finish this in August, so I'm going to have to start doing that one hundred pages a day thing. Except maybe I'll have to drop it to fifty since, ya know, I'm working full time now.
Viral Nation by Shauna Grimes - I keep stopping and starting this one because it's slow. I like the idea of the time travelling and stuff, but it's not nearly as prominent as I was hoping.
The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainini - This is another one that I'm hoping to finish this month. I started it a while ago, and found it sooooo slow.
The End Games by T. Michael Martin - This just confused me.
Fragments by Dan Wells - I'm enjoying it, but it's dense. I'll finish it eventually.

Book of the Month

It was really, really hard to pick a Book of the Month this month because the books that I read were mostly amazing. It was a close call between Fire with Fire, All Our Yesterdays, and this, but The Song of Achilles won out in the end. Thanks to Tatum, and this bloody book, my life is ruined. It'll never be the same again.

August TBR

I'm hoping to get to a bunch of books this month, and as always my goal is to hit the double figures. I'm not expecting to get to all of these, but I'm going to try to get to at least ten! This is probably going to change by next week, but I like to have a list that's there just in case I need it.

1. Don't Turn Around by Michelle Gagnon
2. Wool by Hugh Howey
3. The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainini
4. The End Games by T. Michael Martin
5. A Storm of Swords Part 2: Blood and Gold by George R. R. Martin
6. Insignia by S. J. Kincaid
7. Rush by Eve Silver
8. The House of Scorpions by Nancy Farmer
9. Blackout by Robison Wells
10. Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally Carter
11. Viral Nation by Shauna Grimes
12. Only the Good Spy Young by Ally Carter
13. Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis
14. The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas

Misc.

- First off, I'm going to start with the best news of all! Sorry, Judith, but this needs to be mentioned first. I BOOKED MY FLIGHTS TO ROME! *HAPPY DANCE* I'm sure you're all aware of my obsession with all things Roman by now, so you'll probably know how thrilled I am to be going on this trip! I'll be in Rome for five days in September, and I cannot wait!
---
- I've been at my job for two whole months now, and I am still loving it. The work isn't boring, and the people I work with are amazing, and I'm so happy to finally be working.
---
- Judith and I have a fab idea that I can't actually tell you about right now. The reason for this is because there's a post going up tomorrow! We'll let you all know about our genius plan then, I promise.
---
- I might be going to the Netherlands next year! If Judith and Debby will have me, that is! I'm very excited to meet them both in person (especially since they're meeting each other today!), and to be able to practice my Dutch with them. Goede donderdag, winkelwagen en het boek! Shut up, that was a well thoughout sentence.

16 comments:

  1. ooh fantastic wrap up! I really want to read Burn for Burn and Fire with Fire!! as for the Ally Carter books, I need to read Out of Sight, Out of Time but I'll hold off a bit until you recap them :D :D I'll have to check out your july book of the month!

    ooh and congrats! take loads of pictures and show us when you're in Rome!
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to recap the books as soon as I can! I'll definitely have to stagger them, though. YES you definitely have to check out The Song of Achilles. It's amaaaaaazing. OH, and you haven't read Burn for Burn yet?! DO IT NOW. There's so much tasty revenge and a taste of mystery :D

      Thanks! Will do! I might try to vlog my trip, although I'm not sure how that will turn out XD

      Delete
  2. Keep reading Fragments, it's one of my favorites! And that ending...I still need to read the Game of Thrones books, but I'm enjoying the TV series so much and I love that I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen. Gotta respect an author who kills off main characters like he does! Wow, the Rome trip sounds amazing! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will soon! Hopefully I'll have it finished by October or something. Hahaha, killing off characters is what GRRM does best. I'm a bit worried about who else is going to die or be mutilated by the time the series ends.

      Delete
  3. I've just finished A Clash of Kings, I can't wait to pick up ASOS but I figured to wait until next month cause I have a lot of other books that need to be read before I go out and buy that! Sounds like you've had an amazing month and I visited Rome two years ago it was breathtaking!

    New follower :D I look forward to stopping by in the future.
    Lauren @ Northern Plunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ASOS is SO much better than A Clash of Kings! I think you'll fly through it. I've only put it down because review books keep getting in the way. I'm so jealous that you've been to Rome already! I'm so happy to hear that it's beautiful.

      Delete
  4. Goodness! You all put me to shame, mine was a pitiful month again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry you had a bad month! Hopefully August will be better :D

      Delete
  5. I see your starting the Gallagher Girl's series in August :-D I'm looking forward to seeing what you think. I hope you like it! Ally Carter is one of my go-to-authors. I'll read anything she writes. I'm seriously looking forward to reading the 6th (and final) book of the series in October(?). :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already read the first two books :D I liked the first one, from what I can remember, and I REALLY liked the second once that guy whose name I have forgotten was introduced. I need to catch up before the last book comes out so I can recap the series!

      Delete
    2. YAY!Zachary Goode!! Yes :-D You've still got a couple of months to catch up

      Delete
  6. HAHAHA BOOK OF THE MONTH I'M NOT CRYING THERE'S JUST SOMETHING IN MY EYE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going to Rome, that is so awesome! I really hope to visit that place soon <3 How good that you've learned some Dutch words :D And woot, meeting them sounds great.

    Nice wrap-up! I hope you enjoy the books you want to read. I liked The school for good and evil, but I agree that it was a bit slow sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP :D I really hope you can come here soon :D That just made my day, reading that.

    I'm a bit bummed about AOY not being book of the month... *sigh* but okayyy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to make a list of what to read next, too. Otherwise I take too long deciding :) Insignia is really good and you are so lucky that you get to read Not a Drop to Drink! I've been wanting to read that. Hope you hit double digits this month :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!