03 February 2011

Book Review: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.

In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.Visit Perfect Chemistry's GoodReads page.


Warning: This review is going to be full of gush and girly swooning.


Have I ever told you how much I struggle when reviewing books that I’m in love with? It’s kind of like criticising the person who you’ve fallen head over heels for. It’s just not easy. 


Perfect Chemistry is centred around Brittany Ellis and Alex Fuentes (*swoon*) who are partnered together in Chemistry class. The pair couldn’t be more different. 


Brittany is a blonde, gorgeous cheerleader who is dating the school’s football captain and lives on the rich side of town. 


Alex has all the typical dark features of a Mexican American, shares a tiny room with his two younger brothers and is a member of the local gang. 


I loved both of them. They both had huge flaws, and they both hated the way they lived, yet kept that a tightly wrapped secret. For being complete opposites, they sure had a lot in common. I loved reading about their personal growth - which this novel was full of - and I loved reading about the growth of their relationship.


The typical good girl meets bad boy plot makes up the foundations of this book, but it is so much more than that. This is the ultimate love story. Think Romeo/Juliet, but ten times better - much more realistic and no suicide. 


Simone Elkeles has one of the most compelling writing styles that I have ever read. It’s captivating and beautiful, and so thrilling that I was kept on the edge of my seat throughout the whole book. There’s no slow starts or filler scenes in this book!


I loved the fact that what she wrote was so realistic. She’s done her research into gang life, how Alex would have lived and what his status would have been in the gang. And the way that Alex and his friends spoke was brilliantly done - with so much Spanish thrown in! Some of you may already know how much I love the Spanish language, but if not then you’ll probably know now. I love it THIS *stretches arms out to both sides* much. Beautiful. I think that this is probably one of the more important factors which made me fall in love with Alex and this book. Yes, I’m obsessed. 


Overall, this is an incredible book, and a must read for any young adult reader or blogger. I will honestly start begging you to read this if you haven’t already done so. Alice, I’m talking to you!


Rating: 10/10




Series: Perfect Chemistry Book #1
UK paperback edition, 368 pages
Published on April 1, 2010 by Simon & Schuster 

8 comments:

  1. Great review Amber ... Wow Alex .. SWOON !! You'll see Rules of Attraction is great too !! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elodie :D Haha, exactly! SWOOOON. I'm tempted to reread it already :) I'm definitely going to read RoA :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I love the girly, slushy, swooning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. l have this to read! Yay so glad l brought it after this review =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you've convinced me! I really, really want to read this now. I have a hard time reviewing books I love, too. All I want to do is just giggle and squeal and be a complete fangirl about it, hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! Great review! It is sitting on my "to be read very soon" shelf and that is all down to you! Feel proud! I'm super excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I've already read this and Rules of Attraction, which follows Carlos but Alex and
    Brittany make many apperances. I agree SWOON! I always read reviews of this book because I loved it so much and I want to see what other people think. So far I haven't read a review that does not basically beg people to read it, as you said. :) I'm really sad the "series" is coming to an end in May with the last book Chain Reaction, following the youngest Fuentes brother Luis. I love these books so much! Thanks so much for the great review that'll spread this book around. It was one of the first books that got me hooked on YA and it remains to be one of my absolute favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did it Amber! Are you happy? I read it this morning. The whole thing. Your review inspired me. THANK YOU. New favourite book :) It was so HOT.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!