23 September 2013

Banned Books Week 2013


Yesterday marked the start of 2013's Banned Books Week, an annual celebration of the freedom to read. You can read more about it here. In the past, I haven't really taken part in it, but this year I teamed up with Tatum and we read a bunch of previously banned or challenged books. Some I enjoyed, some I really didn't, but when it came down to it, I wouldn't have been able to read even the bad books without this freedom to read.

This week on Books of Amber, we're only reviewing banned or challenged books. I wish I had the time to read more than I did, but on top of new releases, ARCs, and my TBR pile, I could only make it through a few.

Perhaps one of the most famous example of banned books for the younger generation is Harry Potter. I'm sure you've all heard by now that some people challenged this one because they believe it to promote Satanism. It's such a horrible influence on their children, you see. All that magic and that horrible man... forget everything JKR says about love and family. It's not of import.

It has also been said that To Kill a Mockingbird is immoral. Now, I don't get this at all. I read TKAM for Banned Books Week, and everything about it is flawless. It teaches you kindness, respect, morality... so much. Immoral is completely the opposite of what it is.

And finally, to leave you with some quotes from famous authors on censorship:

"I feel badly for the children because it sends a message to them that there is something wrong with reading, that we don't want them to read this book because there's something in it that we don't want them to know." - Judy Blume

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame." - Oscar Wilde

Sit back, enjoy, and keep on reading whatever the hell you want!

3 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of Banned Books Week before I started reading. I'm not sure if it even exists in the Netherlands. Anyway, I think it's ridiculous to ban books. Especially because there's been talk about getting Eleanor & Park banned, for the most insane and unreasonable of reasons. I also reaaaaally want to read To Kill a Mockingbird. It sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sadly still haven't read the Harry Potter series yet, not because it promotes Satanism because that's just ridiculous, but because I have so many other books that I have to read first. And wow, how can people think that Harry Potter supports Satanism?

    ReplyDelete
  3. DH Lawrence Lady Chatterley's Lover banned, likely most controversial banned book in the last few centuries.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!