17 September 2013

DNF: The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas

The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas
The Elemental Trilogy #1
Release Date: September 17, 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Source: Publisher (Edelweiss)
Goodreads Stars: DNF
Rating: DNF

Pages Read: ~190 (41%)

It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning…

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.

Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family—even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.

But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life. - Goodreads


In the past, I never used to post reviews of books that I didn't finish. I didn't feel like I could write enough about them for the post to be considered a review. But I have changed my mind, and decided to give this a try. Please don't class this as an "official" review, more of my jumbled thoughts on the book and why I wasn't able to finish it.

I was very excited to read The Burning Sky, because I had heard great things coming from earlier reviewers. Everyone said that it was a fantastic fantasy novel with great world building to boot, but unfortunately I did not get the appeal.

The first couple of chapters were good, I will admit. I loved the prologue, and the author’s writing style sucked me in at first, and I even raved about it on Twitter. But after that things went downhill – slowly – and I wanted to quit reading. By 20% I was skim reading, and I made it about 40% of the way through before I finally had to give up, because I was so bored and I had no idea what was going on.

I was just so bored. That's the main reason that I end up giving up on books nowadays. I can handle offensive or ridiculous content, but I can't handle boredom. At least the stupidity entertains me. It felt like this book wasn't going anywhere, and we hardly had a chance to be introduced to the characters before they were shooting out lightning and flying around in the sky. Or whatever it is that they were doing. 

Like I said, the first couple of chapters were intriguing, until the prince's point of view was introduced and then it became very jumpy and I got confused. The world building wasn't very clear either. One minute they were in a fantasy world (or so I thought), and the next they were at Eton in Windsor, England. 

I didn't feel any chemistry between the two characters, nor did I feel either one was particularly interesting on their own. 

I should probably stop now before I find another way to reiterate that this book was dull. It's a shame, because I was so pumped for a great fantasy, and I hate being disappointed.

10 comments:

  1. Aww! I'm sorry you didn't care for this one. I loved it but I'm a fantasy fan through and through. I'm with you though on DNFing. I think I've been doing it more and more lately. Its so hard to stick to a book I'm not liking when I have a pile of books needing to be read staring at me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I do not like Blackout, I'm totally pointing you to this so you don't hate me. X_X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh, I don't think Debby is going to be very happy, haha, based on her review and tweeting :p It sucks when you can't connect with the world-building or don't understand the chemistry between characters. I've heard mixed things about this book, so I guess it's either hate or love here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Debby is SO not going to be happy...but me neither! I LOVED this book so much so I'm sad you didn't feel the same! To each their own, right? More Titus for me and Debby :)

      Delete
  4. I got to this same point and stopped reading I liked the story but was bored by it! I would like to see what happens but I may wait a while

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard so many good things about this book, it's kind of a relief to know that I'm not missing out by not reading it. I'm a little sad to see that you didn't like it, not finishing books always makes me feel a little guilty but I hope that's not the case for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like this book!
    I am really excited about this book and I won it in a giveaway.. Now I'm kinda nervous to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad you didn't like the book! I just got this book today so I hope I end up liking it. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh*

    :(

    I'm really surprised actually that this didn't work for you. I mean, we're meant to be twins!!! :'( But... oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally get you. I was very middle of the road with this one, which was sad because so many people lovedlovedloved it. And I wanted to love it. It wasn't even the world building that did me in. But my review of this one is just about to go up so I won't get into the specifics of my feelings YET AGAIN (writing it once was already a lot >.<). But know that you are not the only one who didn't fall in love.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!