04 December 2012

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer


Spark by Brigid Kemmerer
Elemental #2
Release Date: August 28, 2012 (UK)
Publisher: K-Teen
Source: Bought
Goodreads Stars: 4
Rating: Essential


Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally.

Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can’t. Like the fire that killed his parents.

Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he’s not doing it.

More than Gabriel’s pride is at stake -- this could cost him his family, maybe his life. And no one seems to hear him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets. She has a few of her own.

Gabriel can’t let her guess about his brothers, about his abilities, about the danger that’s right at his heels. But there are some risks he can’t help taking.

The fuse is lit… Goodreads

I absolutely adored Storm, the first book in this series. So much so that I had to pick this one up straight after finishing it. Brigid Kemmerer and the Merrick brothers really hook you in. I am a little sad, though, because now I have to wait AGES for the third book in the series.

Honestly, I didn't love Gabriel as much as I thought I would. I mean, I still loved him, but I didn't LOVE him, if you catch my drift. In Storm I was pretty sure that Gabriel was my favourite out of the four Merrick brothers, but Michael shot up to the top spot when I read his novella and he's just not moving. I also prefer Chris to Gabriel. But that doesn't mean he was awesome. Proud, cheeky, and hot-tempered always does it for me.

Like I said in my review of the first book, I *LOVE* elemental powers. It's a weird non-sexual kink of mine, and I don't know what caused it but it's been this way for ages. So of course, I loved this. I loved learning about the rules regarding the powers, who the Merricks' enemies are, the Merrick brothers' limits... ALL OF IT. I loved it.

Spark was just as action packed and exciting as Storm. I actually found Spark to be a little less predictable, which was awesome because I love surprises. Gabriel's humour only added to the story, and I was laughing out loud at several points while reading. Brigid Kemmerer is just so funny!

Layne was also awesome. The mystery surrounding her scars was intriguing, and in the end it was all dealt with very well. I loved how she looked after her brother! Being a big sister myself, I really connected with her.

So, without spoiling everything, I will say that Spark is just as good as Storm, even if I didn't love Gabriel as much as I had hoped. I don't feel any disappointment at all!


The Elemental Series:
0.5. Elemental
1. Storm
1.5. Fearless
2. Spark
2.5 Breathless (2013)
3. Spirit (2013)

0 replies:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!