06 December 2012

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski


Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski
Release Date: June 7, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Bought
Goodreads Stars: 4
Rating: Enjoyable


2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house - parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.
If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.
In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time. - Goodreads

I think the title alone gives you an idea of how humourous this book is, doesn't it? I went in expecting a cute contemporary with some wit and some funny scenes, but instead I ended up falling in love with April and with Sarah's writing. That's not to say that Ten Things isn't funny, because it definitely is. It had me laughing out loud all the time while reading it.

I read this one overnight. I think that shows how much I enjoyed it, and how much it captivated me. I start a book before bed, and sometimes, when a book is really good, I can't put it down until I've finished it. That is what happened with Ten Things.

Like I said, I fell in love with April. She's an awesome character, and she went through so much in the short amount of time this book takes place in. She had to deal with her mother and brother living in France, and her dad and his perfect new wife moving away. No wonder she wanted to stay with her friend, right? I thought it was hilarious that she was lying to her dad, and how she and her friend set up accounts to exchange fake emails between their parents.

I was looking forward to a huge blow up reveal at the end, in which April confesses, or her dad finds out that she and her friend had been living on their own, but that never happens. That was a little disappointing.

I loved the secondary characters, especially Hudson and... I've forgotten his brother's name, but I loved him too, I promise! I think it began with a G... But anyway, these two brothers were brilliant. I just wish there had been more Hudson! He was AWESOME. And hot.

I hated April's boyfriend, Noah, though. He was a scumbag, and can go rot in a hole. Harsh? Perhaps. But I really don't like the type of person he is. Throughout the book I was praying for April to dump his ass and get together with Hudson.

The final thing I wanted to talk about was how Sarah Mlynowski dealt with teenagers having sex, and STDs. I'm struggling not to spoil you, but I just want to say that the author deserves an applause for doing this. I've never seen STDs mentioned in YA lit before. Sure, there's been pregnancy scares in the books I've read, but no diseases. Four for you, Ms. Mlynowski.

5 comments:

  1. Love the review. I'll be placing this on my 'to read' list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for the review! I think I might try this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!