13 August 2013

Top Ten Favourite Books Set in Boarding Schools


Top Ten Books Set in Boarding Schools

I'm a huge fan of books set in boarding schools, so that is my pick for the 'X Setting'. I just love the drama that happens when there are no parents around. The secret parties, the midnight feasts, the sneaking around after dark, the teachers that turn into werewolves... Everything.

How could this not top them all? The Philosopher's Stone is probably THE book that kicked off this crazy obsession of mine.

Hex Hall is just so funny! While I do prefer Demonglass to this one, Hex Hall is the only book in the trilogy that is actually set in a boarding school for the majority of the time.

So you know how I was talking about that teenage drama that I love? This is one of those series that is full of it, and it's so addictive. It's not even that good, I just enjoy all the bitching and name calling.

If we're going to be technical, this is really set in a prison, but whatever. It still counts.

While the boarding school aspect of this book isn't all that prominent, I did love this one and I just had to include it in my list. The whole crime lord thing was a huge draw for me.

Not only is this set in a boarding school, we actually have no idea why the teenagers are there, and they're not allowed to leave.

Were you waiting for this to show up on the list? I bet you were.

IT'S SO CUTE AND FLUFFY I WANT TO DIE.

Not my favourite, but it's interesting and I liked the paranormal stuff. The boarding school in London was just a bonus.

10. Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter
A boarding school for female teenage spies! You can't do better than that. I picked the second book in this series instead of the first because I enjoyed it a lot more. Mostly because of the new guy who was introduced *wink wink*.

18 comments:

  1. Well, duh, with Harry Potter. That's a given. I've only read 3/10 of these but boarding schools bore me sometimes as they're usually a copy of one gone before... But nice list here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha it seems the topic of schools is making a lot of peoples list. I had Harry Potter and Vampire Academy on my list too. Hogwarts would be the ultimate boarding school experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Anna and the French Kiss! Makes me want to go to boarding school!

    Here's my Top Ten List of Books Set in Libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had Hex Hall on my Kindle forever, but I haven't read it. I need to! And Anna and the French Kiss, I just love that book. Definitely cute and fluffy. If you love Vampire Academy (which who doesn't?) you should try the Covenant series. Great list! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the second boarding school person I've seen.

    It Girl? *raises eyebrows*

    Also, I've only read HP and Variant. So...yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a boarding school. I always wanted to go to one in Switzerland when I was a kid because I just thought it sounded so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I chose boarding schools too!

    I keep meaning to read the It Girl series - I love Gossip Girl so I really ought to, I think ;) I just finished the first Gallagher Girls book this morning and really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy - especially if you say it's even better!

    Great list, Amber! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love boarding school books - The Worst Witch is one of my favorites.

    Here's my Top 10 set in New Orleans

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great topic and wonderful mix of books listed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list. Harry Potter and Blue is for Nightmares are probably my favorite boarding school reads.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHAHA "If we're going to be technical, this is really set in a prison, but whatever. It still counts". I've NO idea how a prison is the same as a school. LOL! I want to read Vampire Academy so badly!!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  13. Besides Harry Potter, I actually haven't read many boarding school books. I've never been to one, so I guess I don't quite understand the appeal. Although Curtis Sittenfield's Prep takes place at a boarding school and is fantastic, if you haven't read it yet. I do want to read Hex Hall and White Cat eventually, though - I've heard great things about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was just going to mention Prep as one of the best books I've ever read that takes place in a boarding school. So glad you mentioned it. I think I read it about 6 years ago, when I was still in high school. I went to a private school that had both boarding and day students (though I was one of the day students). But so much of it still resonated with me. And obviously, you can testify to the fact that you didn't have to go to a boarding school to appreciate the book. It's just a fantastic and emotional read.

      Delete
  14. Still need to read a lot of these, but ohh. Harry Potter! Awesome books. <3 I need to re-read them soon, been too long :) Thank you for sharing your awesome list :D
    Thank you for commenting on my blog. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right, how could Harry Potter NOT top all the others? But I approve of your other choices as well! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. YES! Boarding school books are THE BEST. The entire Hex Hall series is hilarious. It's definitely up there for my favorite series. I need to read Variant soon because 1. you rave about it, 2. I trust your book judgement and 3. I bought it the day it came out. I just bought White Cat and I have The Name of the Star so I need to get to those too. OH AND GALLAGHER GIRLS! I can't believe the final book comes out this year. Anyway, sorry for the gushing but this Top Ten list is made of awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!