07 June 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Settings In Books


These are in no particular order, just what came to mind first! 

1. Ixia from the Study Series by Maria V Snyder
I was going to include Sitia in my list as well, but I personally prefer Ixia. I guess it's because the Commander and Valek are there, but also because it was a place that I fell in love with during Poison Study - despite the rules and the harsh weather - and I was craving to go back there throughout the rest of the trilogy.

2. Inside from the Inside Series by Maria V Snyder
Another fantastic setting by the wonderful Ms. Snyder. I love how it was described, the Upper and Lower divide was so interesting, as were the pipes that Trella has to go through. I loved the structure of it.

3. SOAP from Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
I would have LOVED to have gone to a boarding school like this one. Why didn't my parents have enough money to send me there? *sad face* I love books about boarding schools, and SOAP is honestly the best one I have read about. It has hot people, fantastic 'rules' and it's in Paris!

4. Perdido Beach from the Gone Series by Michael Grant
A place in which all adults disappear? A place which no one can escape from due to the dome that is surrounding it? A place where the youngsters have to learn to fend for themselves? Tell me this doesn't sound interesting.

5. Diagon Alley from Harry Potter by JK Rowling
Most people will have picked Hogwarts, but I LOVE Diagon Alley. I love all of the different shops, and the general vibe there is fantastic. In the first few books, that is. I also love Hogsmeade, but I decided to only pick one setting from each book.

6. St Vladimir's Academy from the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
Another boarding school, but this one trains students to fight evil beings, as well as teaching some students to use certain powers. Gah, I cannot stress how much I want to go there. I want to learn to fight Strigoi!

7. Gallagher Academy from the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter
Again, a boarding school! But this one is for spies, with hundreds of different gadgets, and a different language spoken at mealtimes each day. I would have loved to have gone there! I am determined to be a spy when I grow up! (I know I'm an adult now, but  I'm not a grown up just yet!)

8. Vampire Mountain from The Saga of Darren Shan by Darren Shan
This is the place where all the vampires meet every few years. I love the way Darren and Mr Crepsley (*heart*) get there, and I love everything that happens when they do. I love the different halls and caves and waterfalls... *Sigh* It's just amazing and very, very beautiful. To me, at least.

9. Chicago from Divergent by Veronica Roth
Now, I wouldn't want to live there myself - okay, maybe I would for a day or two - but this place was FANTASTIC. I love how Roth described it, and I love the vast amount of development and thought that has gone into this place. 

10. The Glade from The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Again, another fantastic place that would be interesting to visit. A place that there is seemingly no escape from? Sounds fantastic! I'd love to go there and see how the teenagers had set up their lives there, and I'd love to go into the Maze for a short while. As long as I found my way back before night fall!

What are your top ten settings in books? Leave your links below!

4 comments:

  1. Eeeeeee Diagon Alley! Much love for it! Any place where you can spend money in the midst of magic, friends, and fun is the place to be :)

    And oh, of course St. Vlad's, though part of me is more interested in Court than the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved #1,5, 6 on your list.

    Good picks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list! Some of these are on my list too. I still haven't read the Study series (I read the Glass series which kind of had serious spoilers for Yelena's story). I did love the world that Snyder created though. SOAP would be an amazing school to go to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I love Michael Grant's Gone series. Gallagher Academy is on my list too.

    http://wp.me/pzUn5-rE

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!