21 June 2013

Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn

Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn
Release Date: June 11, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Publisher (Edelweiss)
Goodreads Stars: 1
Rating: Bland
Goodreads

On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished.

A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundreds of miles away. She doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know how she got there. She only knows one thing: She is not the real Annaliese  Rose Gordon.

Now Annaliese is haunted by strange visions and broken memories. Memories of a reckless, desperate wish . . . a bloody razor . . . and the faces of other girls who disappeared. Piece by piece, Annaliese's fractured memories come together to reveal a violent, endless cycle that she will never escape—unless she can unlock the twisted secrets of her past.

Another Little Piece has been getting a lot of very positive reviews. That's one of the reasons I was so excited to read it this week. I had been planning on saving it for the debut-a-thon, but I just couldn't wait any longer. Unfortunately, Another Little Piece didn't meet my expectations.

My main reason for requesting this was the promising creep factor. I love nothing more than a good scare (except Gannicus, maybe), and the more a book manages to freak me out and have me hearing bumps in the night the better. The lack of creepiness, however, was my biggest disappointment with this book. Sure, it had loads of potential, but I wasn't a fan of the execution. Maybe it was the author's writing style, since the cannibalism and the bloody scenes certainly should have been creepy. The imagery just wasn't there.

I don't have much to say about the characters, since I wasn't drawn in by any of them. I would have preferred less romance, though. Anna didn't need a love interest while she was still trying to figure out what had happened to her. 

At about 40%, I started skimming. That's always a bad sign. I tried to get into this book, I really did, but by that point my extreme disappointment overwhelmed me and I just didn't care any more. Nothing interesting was happening, and the book couldn't pull me in. 

Another Little Piece is one huge disappointment. I was bored throughout, and when you struggle not to skim a book from 10%, the book must be really freakin' dull. I wouldn't recommend it, and I'm going to sit here and sulk for the rest of the day because I was very excited for this one. *huffs*

10 comments:

  1. Cannibalism huh? Didn't expect that! Such a shame when a book promises a scary story and it ends up being boring :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always a disappointment when a book doesn't live up to the hype. If you like creepy and can tolerate animal abuse in a book The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks was pretty creepy and disturbing. He recently died and so I picked it up to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! All the positive reviews have made me really excited for this as well, and this is the first negative review I've seen. How disappointing. And boring books are absolutely the worst, too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book :( I've been reading mostly good reviews about it. I love a creepy book, so it's too bad it wasn't really scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pity you didn't enjoy it :( I haven't really read that many horror books, usually as it results in me having sleepless nights over nothing! I don't mind the scary scenes but I haven't really read that many horror books and I tend to steer clear of any that sound too scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh snap. The reviews of this have been ALL over the place. O_O It's on my Sadie Hawkins list, so I hope I'm not as bored by it. *crosses fingers* There's nothing worse than a boring book. Seriously, I'd rather be ragey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I am so bummed to hear this because I am so excited to read this!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I love nothing more than a good scare (except Gannicus, maybe)" You are so predictable.

    It's too bad that this book wasn't as creepy. It sounds all very Mara Dyer-esque to me, and that sure as hell creeped me out. Also, WHAT IS UP WITH ROMANCE? I'm honestly a bit annoyed by this because it seems to be EVERYWHERE, and especially where it doesn't need to be. (*cough* Ink *cough*) Not every book needs romance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was halfway in this book before I marked it as DNF. Everything was just so confusing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did the exact same thing. I skimmed through it after reading about 20% of the book. It was confusing and boring.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!