24 May 2013

Debut-a-Thon Sign Ups


I've been spending a lot of my online life this year promoting and talking about 2013 YA debuts. I have a monthly showcase feature, and two of my favourite books of the year thus far have been from debut authors.  The Debut Showcase feature is a lot of fun to write, but it's not really something that other people can partake in. So, naturally, my silly little brain went to work and came up with THIS. 

I want to say a HUGE thanks to Judith from Paper Riot for putting up with my silliness and making the two buttons/images for me. Without her you would have been stuck with something that came from MS Paint. And thanks again for helping brainstorm!

What the heck is a Debut-a-Thon?
It's a four day read-a-thon that focuses on debuts. I know, I know, the play on words is awesome. The aim is to get everyone reading - goodbye, reading slumps! - and interacting with one another. I met a few great bloggers while taking part in previous read-a-thons, and I want to meet many more!

Who can join in? Are there any requirements?
This read-a-thon is open to absolutely anybody. You don't have to have a blog, you just need to be able to confirm that you're posting your updates somewhere, whether that be on Twitter, Goodreads, Facebook or Youtube.

As for requirements, the name should say it all. For this read-a-thon, only 2013 debuts count towards your reading goals. Those goals can be anything you wish them to be, but please only list debuts!

Do the debuts have to be Young Adult?
Nope, read any debut you like! I will be focusing on YA because, hello, it's what I read the most of. But you're welcome to dive into Middle Grade or adult!

If you have any recommendations, then you can fill in this form and then I will share the results a bit closer to the event! Recommend as many as you like.

How do I know if a book is a debut?
The YA Debuts 2013 list on Goodreads is very helpful when it comes to YA. There are a few mistakes in there though, so it's best to check the description of whatever book you're curious about. There is also this list which includes MG books as well. 

When will it happen?
The debut-a-thon will start at 12AM on Thursday June 27, and end at 11.59PM on Sunday June 30, no matter what your timezone is. So the Aussies and Kiwis will start earlier than the rest of us, but they'll also finish before us as well.

The end of June seems a bit random... Explain yourself!
I initially just planned on doing a week-long debut event during the final week of June because it's the six month mark (and then again in December). Then, quite randomly, I did Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon and had so much fun that I decided to host my own. And why not coincide it with my debut event?

Okay, so how do I sign up?
Just fill in the form embedded below. All I ask is for your name and your sign up post, tweet, or video. (I need the sign up post to confirm that you're eligible for the giveaway at the end.) Those details will then show up in a spreadsheet. And it's as easy as that! Don't forget to grab one of the buttons that the wonderful Judith went through the trouble of making for me!

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask in the comments/on Twitter/via email! And don't forget to recommend your favourite debuts of the year so far.
Sign Up Form

27 comments:

  1. Awh, tempting!

    ...

    Hmm, why not! *sign up*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAYYYY! I just had a look at your list. Pivot Point is *amazing*, and I also really enjoyed The Madman's Daughter! Both were really quick reads.

      Delete
  2. JUDITH CONVINCED ME.

    This is my first ever read-a-thon.

    You better not let me down. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to sign up for this, but I just have NO IDEA what my reading schedule will be like. I don't currently have any debuts coming out the week after that, and I don't think I can count on being ahead. X_X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your schedule is ruining everything ;___; Haha, don't worry, if you do get your hands on something nearer the time then you can just jump in either officially or unofficially XD

      Delete
  4. I just signed up! Off to check out the debut list for this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would sign up but I have exams that week! I hate exams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no :( Maybe I'll host another one in the future. Exams are always getting in the way!

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to see what comes from this. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wrote my post and signed up. I found books to read! I can't wait now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put this in my calendar. Hopefully I can join in =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Signed up! :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just signed up and am really looking forward to it! Such a great idea, Amber, and will finally allow me to get through a few books on my TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like fun! I have so many debuts in my TBR pile that I really need to get through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just signed up and I can't wait! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. So when we read the books, do we need to post reviews or anything or are we strictly just reading during those 4 days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, you don't have to review anything unless you want to. If you'd rather review as you go along, of course that's fine! But the only requirement is to read the debuts :D

      Delete
  14. Okay, I just signed up. I really need something to keep me off the computer and this might be it. Trying to read eight books in four days will be a challenge. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in, thanks for hosting, this will be fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joined! I'm so excited! Are there going to be any extra challenges along with this one? I'd love to donate a prize and host one on my blog! :D
    Laura @ Music Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  17. I signed up and I posted a plug on my blog for the read a thon. This sounds so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!