11 May 2013

Parallel by Lauren Miller

Parallel by Lauren Miller
Release Date: May 14, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Publisher (Edelweiss)
Goodreads Stars: 4
Rating: Essential

Buy the Book: Amazon UK

Abby Barnes had a plan. The Plan. She'd go to Northwestern, major in journalism, and land a job at a national newspaper, all before she turned twenty-two. But one tiny choice—taking a drama class her senior year of high school—changed all that. Now, on the eve of her eighteenth birthday, Abby is stuck on a Hollywood movie set, miles from where she wants to be, wishing she could rewind her life. The next morning, she's in a dorm room at Yale, with no memory of how she got there. Overnight, it's as if her past has been rewritten.

With the help of Caitlin, her science-savvy BFF, Abby discovers that this new reality is the result of a cosmic collision of parallel universes that has Abby living an alternate version of her life. And not only that: Abby's life changes every time her parallel self makes a new choice. Meanwhile, her parallel is living out Abby's senior year of high school and falling for someone Abby's never even met.

As she struggles to navigate her ever-shifting existence, forced to live out the consequences of a path she didn't choose, Abby must let go of the Plan and learn to focus on the present, without losing sight of who she is, the boy who might just be her soul mate, and the destiny that's finally within reach. - Goodreads

This book distressed me greatly *sobs* Especially the ending

I'm not sure if you know this, but I'm telling you now anyway: I adore parallel universe/multi-verse/time travel stuff. Much like Christina from A Reader of Fictions. It all really intrigues me, and I love thinking that it's a possibility with our own universe and not just in fiction. How cool would it be to discover a parallel universe? Of course, it wouldn't be cool if that universe declared war on us, or if it collides with ours and changes our lives like the parallel universe did in Parallel.

Along with the science-y stuff to do with universes and stars and all that, this book also talks about destiny and fate, and how it's believed that ones path can change, but destiny always remains the same. It was really engrossing stuff, and I loved taking this journey with Abby as she discovered her own destiny.

I loved the plot. I thought it was fast paced, intriguing, and I was completely engrossed in the story. I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen to Abby next as a result of her parallel's actions. It was so much fun!

As a main character, I think Abby was great. She started off as a bit of an annoyance, because she kept whining about how she wanted to be back in LA and that her parallel self (the one who's a year behind her on her timeline) is ruining her life. But come on, if I discovered I had a parallel who was changing events from my past then I'd be pissed too. I'd probably despise her, despite the fact that my parallel would essentially be me. Kinda.

I really liked Josh, who Parallel!Abby meets in astronomy class. I think he was cute and adorable, and a total sweetheart. I did think that he was a little too forgiving, and not all that hot, and those are really the only things that put me off him. I would have liked to have seen more actual scenes between him and Abby so I could have felt their connection more, instead of being told about the memories of both of them.

My absolute favourite thing about the book, aside from the parallel universe business, was the soulmate thing that is addressed. Abby and her best friend Caitlin are considered soulmates, and I thought it was awesome that a platonic friendship could be dealt with in that way. Platonic soulmates are the best! And here comes my regular Supernatural reference: they reminded me of Sam and Dean Winchester, because I consider those two to be soulmates as well.

The most distressing thing about this book was the ending. Bloody hell. The ending made me cry. And yes, I know that I cry over pretty much everything (I like to blame my hormones, but I think I'm just sensitive) but that is not the point. It was all very emotional because, as a reader, I had gone through a hell of a lot with Abby, and then THE ENDING HAPPENED.

Overall I think that Parallel was awesome. It very nearly got an All Time Favourite/5 Star rating. The only things putting me off rating the book like that are Josh, the love interest, who wasn't as AMAZING as he could have been, and the fact that I neeeeeeeeded more at the end. It sounds silly, really.

*grumbles about that bloody ending ruining my life*

19 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I'm really soft/weak when it comes to endings like that. I'm that kind of girl that feels sad after weeks :') Every time I think about Tiger Lily I get sad again, oh well. That also means you've read a very good book ;) Abby sounds like a good character and parallel universes are so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with being a bit soft xD Tiger Lily also has an ending like that? I need it even more now!

      Delete
  2. From reading the synopsis, it all sounds freaking confusing. It also sounds like a mix of The Butterfly Effect and Altered. But HEY, I also looooove time travel and alternate universes and stuff like that. Like a lot. Too bad the love interest is kinda lame but I'm so very excited to read this one! Will definitely have to order it for the debut event!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit confusing in the beginning! But no big deal, once you wrap your head around it it's all good :D Oh, Josh isn't *lame*, really, he's just not that memorable. Or that awesome compared to Dimitri etc etc XD

      I still haven't watched The Butterfly Effect, but I must get to it soon!

      Delete
  3. PIVOT POINT. The Butterfly Effect and Pivot Point. Not Altered. Duh. Has anyone seen my brain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better call Mars Investigations and ask them to find it!

      Delete
  4. I just finished this book and have to agree with you about the ending! I almost cried too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow, high praises Amber! the only parallel book that I read, and ended up loving, was Pivot Point so I am definitely going to add this to my TBR.. and if it is a mix of the butterfly effect like judith mentioned, then IM IN.. because 8 years later, and I still can't wrap my head around that movie.. total mind melt.

    great review!
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSSS, do it! :D I might have to watch The Butterfly Effect next week once Bout of Books has ended. Or maybe if I need a break between books or something :D

      Delete
  6. I love parallel universes. The whole concept is just so fascinating to me. So I'm all in for this book right now. Sounds really awesome! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love reading about the theories surrounding other universes and things. I hope you love it, Erin!

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this one too! The ending definitely was like WHAT?!?! WHYYYYY?!?!?! for me as well. The closure just wasn't there like I wanted it to be! However, I still really enjoyed it. Glad you did too!

    Julia @ That Hapa Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS exactly! I didn't mind the fact that there was no closure, purely because I'm still thinking about it now. A sign of a great book! :D

      Delete
  8. I Really want this book, and I can't wait to read it. Abby sounds amazing and the friendship between her and Caitlin sounds wonderful. Awesome review.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for you to read it! Her and Caitlin are the best, I love their relationship so much. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. YAY! I've seen both really positive and really negative reviews for this and you are giving me all the hope that I will be on the positive side. I mean, there's a friendSHIP. HOLLA. I am all over that. Their need to be more bookish besties that actually love and support one another, am I right? OF COURSE I AM. I'm starting this one when I finish The Perfume Collector. Weeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to get my hands on this book! If you loved it, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it to. But I nervous about the ending. You've got my curious.

    Thanks for the review,

    Sara @ Just Another Story

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED Josh hahaha, I thought he was so amazing and asdfjkl; (it may help that I have a huge crush on a guy named Josh but OKAY) and UNF THIS BOOK. You know, I totally cheated. I gave it 3.5 stars, but changed it yesterday to 4 stars. Just thinking back to it, I enjoyed it SO MUCH.

    What about the ending distressed you so much though? I thought it was the PERFECT ending, to be honest. When I finished, I just had a ridiculously huge smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!