05 March 2011

Book Review: My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent



When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.
So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul.
The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can't possibly understand.
Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk…. - My Soul to Save's GoodReads page

This review may contain small spoilers from the previous book in the series. If you haven't read My Soul to Take then I don't suggest reading! Read my review on My Soul to Take here (spoiler free).

Picking up a couple of months after MStT left off, My Soul to Save catches up with Kaylee Cavanaugh at a music concert, along with her boyfriend Nash and his almost-dead brother Tod. Suddenly, the main singer drops dead on stage and it is revealed that she has sold her soul to a demon. To make matters worse, Tod's ex-girlfriend is also going through the same situation. This leads Kaylee & co. on an exciting quest (I've always wanted to say that!) to find the demon who has been taking young girls' souls. 

The plot of My Soul to Save is just as fast paced and shocking as the plot of My Soul to Take. Kaylee is now completely clued in on the whole banshee situation, and she's accepted it well. I loved how Kaylee handled all of these different situations as they arose, and she really is a clever girl. I'm slightly proud of her *shines with pride*

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to have been much progression with Nash. While Kaylee was just as amazing and intelligent as she was in the first book, Nash seems to kind of just be there. He isn't given a whole lot to do, other than drive Kaylee around and try to get in her pants. In a manner of speaking *wink wink, nudge nudge*.

Tod, Nash's older brother who happens to be a very funny grim reaper, however, was great. He was hilarious, and cheeky, and I love him. The way he kept showing up when Nash and Kaylee were *ehem* trying to have some alone time had me chuckling. And it happened a lot. He also seems to have a slight crush on Kaylee. Now, that may just be my imagination - although that would prove (along with my love of fictional men) that my imagination is brilliant - but I think something could happen there. They'd be rather cute together - the banshee and the grim reaper!

Again, Rachel Vincent's writing and storytelling skills were epic. No change there! 

Rating: 4/5


Series: Soul Screamers #2
Published on December 29th, 2009 by Harlequin Teen (US)
Edition: UK paperback, 362 pages 

1 comment:

  1. Great review, I've heard so may positive things about this book! I guess i'll have to read it sometime :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!