17 March 2011

Book Review: Past Midnight by Mara Purnhagen

Past Midnight by Mara Purnhagen
Release Date: September 1, 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.
Recommended? Yes.
Buy the Book: Amazon US


Let me set the record straight. My name is Charlotte Silver and I'm not one of those paranormal-obsessed freaks you see on TV…no, those would be my parents, who have their own ghost-hunting reality show. And while I'm usually roped into the behind-the-scenes work, it turns out that I haven't gone unnoticed. Something happened on my parents' research trip in Charleston—and now I'm being stalked by some truly frightening other beings. Trying to fit into a new school and keeping my parents' creepy occupation a secret from my friends—and potential boyfriends—is hard enough without having angry spirits whispering in my ear. All I ever wanted was to be normal, but with ghosts of my pastand present colliding, now I just want to make it out of high school alive… - Goodreads Page

      
I did, originally, only pick up this book because I received an ARC for the sequel. I hadn’t previously heard much about this series as there hasn’t been as much hype for this as there have other books - at least on the blogs that I follow and read. However, I was pleasantly surprised!


I’ve not read many books about ghosts. I think the last one I read was a Point Horror book back in middle school. This book was a great way to get reintroduced to the topic! I loved hearing about different hauntings, and how Charlotte’s parents went about their investigations and dived into various situations.


I did find Charlotte’s personality, to begin with, kind of bland. But that’s only because she was trying to be inconspicuous! I would, too, if I had parents who were famous for ghost hunting!


I found the ghosts in this book to be very creepy, they often sent shivers down my spine! There’s a lot of mystery going on in this book as well, and that aspect of the book was very interesting, I was kept hooked. I thought I’d figured it out, but with so little to go on, it was hard, and it turns out I was completely wrong. Sherlock Amber was duped this time.


Overall, Past Midnight is a very fun read, and a surprisingly great book! I definitely recommend it if you enjoy reading books about ghosts - it’s so much fun! The second book in the series, One Hundred Candles, was released on February 15 of this year. Go grab a copy of this, now!

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the review.
    I have an award for you at my blog here http://bookshelfstories.blogspot.com/2011/03/award.html
    I really love your blog and your videos. have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, so glad to see a review of this. I actually really like this series, and they definitely haven't gotten a lot of attention at all!

    I love the characters in these books, and I love the ghost aspect. They're probably my favourite paranormal creature (or whatever, lol) to read about, though there aren't too many out there compared to the vampires and werewolves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexandra - Thank you so much! That's so lovely of you! Unfortunately, I can't accept the award, as I don't have enough time to pass it on. If you wish to give it to someone else, then I understand :)

    Ashley - I definitely think this series deserves more recognition!
    I've hardly read any books about ghosts, I'd love to see more of them in the YA genre. They're much more interesting that werewolves and vampires ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!