03 March 2011

Short Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher





Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Release Date: October 18, 2007

Publisher: Razorbill
Rating: No rating




Jay Asher's brilliant first novel is a moving, highly original story that focuses on a set of audiotapes made by a girl before she committed suicide, and which explain to 13 people the reasons why she decided to end her life. Told in a highly effective duel narrative -- alternating between the girl s voice and the thoughts of a boy who is listening -- this honest, poignant story reveals how other people's actions shape, and by extension can ruin, an individual's faith in people. Intensely powerful and painfully real, Thirteen Reasons Why reveals how brutal high school can be, the consequences of spreading rumors, and the lasting effects of suicide on those left behind. - GoodReads page

I really struggled coming up for a review for this book, so therefore I decided to write just a few paragraphs instead of my usual one and a half page Word document. I may add a longer review later on.


Overall, I loved the entire concept of this book. It was really wonderful. While it was a sad and depressing topic about a young girl's suicide, it was interestingly dealt with. 


The plot was well thought out, and it was interesting to read about what Hannah - the girl who committed suicide - went through after moving to a new school. 

This book intrigued me because it zoned in on the whole "Butterfly Effect" thing that Before I Fall had going on as well. It really made you realise that one thing really does lead to another, and that the smallest thing you do can make a huge difference to someone's life.

That said, and despite this in no way being a bad book, there was just something about it which made it less enjoyable. This is probably why I'm struggling to write a review, because I can't figure out what it is that I didn't like. Maybe it's the writing style. I don't know.

4 comments:

  1. I think that's a great review Amber. Tells me just enough :D I quite fancy this one, even more so as now I want to see if I feel the same as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this book, its similar to the way I feel about Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Neither are happy books, but the way the subject manner is handled is really well done. It doesn't talk down to its audience and is written in such a delicate and intelligent way. Don't let it bother you to much if you can't figure it out, you just might needs some time away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that you're having a hard time coming up with a review for this one. I loved Thirteen Reasons Why, and I applaud Jay Asher for writing on this intense topic. I agree, it did seem like one thing led to another. Thanks for sharing your thoughts though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, the butterfly effect made me thinking as well. Pretty scary. Just like Before I Fall.
    I absolutely adore this book - yes, it is a bit depressing, but it made me realize what a wonderful life I'm leading now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!