08 November 2012

Survive by Alex Morel


Survive by Alex Morel
Release Date: August 2, 2012
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Borrowed
Rating: Enjoyable

Hatchet meets Lost in this modern-day adventure tale of one girl's reawakening

Jane is on a plane on her way home to Montclair, New Jersey, from a mental hospital. She is about to kill herself. Just before she can swallow a lethal dose of pills, the plane hits turbulence and everything goes black. Jane wakes up amidst piles of wreckage and charred bodies on a snowy mountaintop. There is only one other survivor: a boy named Paul, who inspires Jane to want to fight for her life for the first time.

Jane and Paul scale icy slopes and huddle together for warmth at night, forging an intense emotional bond. But the wilderness is a vast and lethal force, and only one of them will survive. - Goodreads


This is a slightly newer novel which I have been wanting to read for quite a while now. I love survival stories, and I was expecting this to be awesome. It did turn out to be a good book, but it was nothing outstanding, unfortunately. 

The events that occurred in this novel once the characters were on the mountain were VERY coincidental. Which they had to be, if the story was to go forward. But I had a tough time accepting some of the things that happened. One of the things I had trouble accepting was the fact that only two characters survived the plane crash, Jane and Paul, and luckily Paul was an avid rock climber! This meant that Paul knew exactly what to do in this situation, and there wasn't much of a learning process for Jane, as she just got told what to and what not to do.

Another minor problem I had was the two characters smoking a cigarette while still on the mountain. Smoking a cigarette while dehydrated is definitely not a good idea, and I don't know why they thought it was. Is there something wrong with them? I mean, if they had given up hope then I would have understood, but they were still pretty determined to survive.

That said, I really did like the overall message that was in this book about the value of life. I almost got a bit teary eyed at the end over some things that were said concerning wanting to live. 

This is by no means a bad book, and I definitely liked it, but it's not something I would recommend to everyone and I wouldn't reread it. 

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, the coincidental things in books can be frustrating. It makes it too easy when we want a little bit of conflict. I'm glad that despite the flaws, you still managed to enjoy it. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love survival stories, but I'm not a fan of huge, lucky co-incidences like one of the survivors being a rock climbing expert! It's much more fun when they are totally clueless and have to figure things out.

    I can say though, without a doubt, if I ever found myself in a situation like this, I'd totally smoke the cigarette, dehydration be damned ;-)

    Glad you pointed out the co-incidental thing, I don't know if this book is for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Amber, I'm sorry you didn't love it more, but I'm glad you took something positive from it :)

    I started reading it a couple of months ago, and the opening just... bothered me. The MC and her plan to kill herself and... *sigh*

    Still, WONDERFUL review. You know, I'm surprised. I was kind of planning on not going any further with it, but.. I actually think I might give it another go. As irritating as it sounds, I'm super curious about the mountains and rock climbing and... mmm ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you didn't completely love it, but glad you enjoyed. YOu made some valid issues though!
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!