06 November 2012

The Devouring by Simon Holt


The Devouring by Simon Holt

The Devouring #1
Release Date: September 1, 2008
Publisher: Little Brown
Source: Bought
Rating: Enjoyable

When Reggie reads about the Vours in a mysterious old journal, she assumes they are just the musings of an anonymous lunatic. But when her little brother, Henry, begins to act strangely, it's clear that these creatures exist beyond a madwoman's imagination, and Reggie finds out what happens when fears come to life.

To save the people she loves, Reggie must learn to survive in a world of nightmares. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?

The Devouring is an engrossing tale of terror that will have you wondering: what if your worst fears became your living nightmare? - Goodreads


Everyone was talking about this trilogy a year or so ago, and I immediately wanted to pick it up once I heard it was a YA horror. Those don't happen too often! As a fan of Darren Shan, I was excited to read some creepy stories. 

I really enjoyed The Devouring. I loved the prologue at the beginning that introduced the story and the Vours. It really set the tone: dark, creepy and spine tingling. The Vours were an amazing concept, and I think they would creep anyone out, because having a something take over your body, or a body belonging to someone you know, it probably most people's worst nightmare. 

The characters were interesting enough, though compared to the story and horror aspect, they didn't really stand out. I really liked them, though, and I loved what was revealed about them all towards the end. 

I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy, because the twists and turns in this one are making me crave the second book, and I can't wait to find out what happens with the characters, and between the characters and the Vours!

2 comments:

  1. This series is one of the only ones that give me nightmares. For serious. I still have to read the third book but I think part of me is scared to. Still, it blows my mind how creepy this series is. WAIT until you get to the sequel

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really interesting-proper horror in YA is hard to find. I came across this one with this cover though http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7683614-the-devouring -the cover you have here gives a totally different impression. Glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!