01 November 2012

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Mara Dyer #2
Release Date: October 23, 2012
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Source: Borrowed
Rating: All Time Favourite



Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next? - Goodreads

If you've been following me for a while then you'll know that I am basically in love with the first book in this series, which I read back in February of this year. If you haven't, then you know now.

I was a bit nervous going into this because, while I was REALLY EXCITED, a lot of YA series have that second book syndrome. This syndrome basically means that the second book in the series or trilogy is a filler book, and only there to bridge the gap between books one and three. However, Evolution was not like that in the slightest!

I loved this one just as much as I loved the first book, and that's a whole freakin' lot. Mara and Noah were back as their awesome selves, there was creepiness, there were cute scenes and mysteries and it was all fabulous.

The main source of the creepiness in Evolution was the whole home invasion thing. Mara discovers that things are either going missing or appearing or changing around the house, and it's BLOODY SPINE-TINGLING. I don't know about you, but home invasion is one of the scariest things to me. The thought of someone entering your house - and your bedroom! - while you're sleeping just makes me want to cry. There were also parts where Mara didn't realise what she was doing, where she was sleepwalking, and the whole thing was just a whole bunch of creepy. AND I LOVED IT.

Mara was a BAMF in this book. She went through so much and still managed to hold herself together and not be driven totally insane. If I was in her position, I'd be checking myself into a hospital, not figuring out ways to get out.

Noah made me cry with his dedication to Mara. He was the only person who believed she wasn't losing her mind. Flawless love interest is flawless.

There were some flashbacks to... I'm not going to tell you when or where, you're going to have to see for yourself, but there were flashbacks that gave us the tiniest insight into what Mara's power could possibly be and why she might have it before pulling the curtain back over our eyes again.

This book was full of twists and turns and awesome moments. Jamie is back in it, and he is perfect. I'm actually REALLY interested in leaning more about him because of something that happened towards the end of the book.

Are we ever going to meet Noah's dad? I have a feeling he's behind something. I'm not sure what, but I'm suspicious of Mr Shaw. I've got my eye on him... well, I would have if he ever made an appearance.

I loved the glimpse we got of Mara's power, but I NEED to know more! Michelle Hodkin did a wonderful job of hinting at things and just giving us the tiniest look at what she can do before the end of the book.

I don't know what else to say because I don't want to give anything away in case I ruin anything for you. But really, this book was the best and I adored it. I'm so glad that Michelle Hodkin planned everything so well, because you can tell she had things planned from book one. *happy tears*


4 comments:

  1. Need to read #1 first! It's on my TBR for this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Flawless love interest is flawless."

    You totes just screwed my mind with that sentence. *sigh* I suppose it's inevitable that I read this series. Yes... I suppose it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the first book but for some reasons I still haven't bought a copy of the second book !!!! I'm so glad you loved it that much : it means I have to buy a copy NOW !! Great review !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!