19 October 2010

Gone: Michael Grant


In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.

Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.
It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...
- Goodreads.com


I really enjoyed this book.

The writing style is what initially drew me in, as well as the plot, because it is well suited for a young adult audience and the description/dialogue is very well balanced out. It is great not reading a book that has a focus on the dialogue with little description, and also not reading twenty pages about a tree.  

The plot is fast, and action packed. It was very hard to put this book down, as every time I was about to something would happen to make me have to carry on. I think I read this book in one day, as it was so good.  

Each of the main characters have a purpose, they are not just thrown in there. I found this to be brilliant, because there is a HUGE amount of characters in this book, and I applaud Grant for keeping up with them all. Each and every one was subject to some character development and I think that's exactly what every book needs. The protagonist was not perfect, as they sometimes are in YA book *cough*Edward*cough* and the antagonist actually had a reason to be bad. I loved that.

The supernatural powers that some of the kids develop are very interesting, and I loved reading about them as I love books about superpowers and such. There is not much that I didn't like about this book - other than I didn't get the edition with the green pages! Why?? It is a great YA dystopian novel (yay, my favourite genre!) so it gets a very good rating!


Rating: 4/5
The series so far:
Gone (2008)
Hunger (2009)
Lies (2010)
Plague (2011)
Links go to Goodreads
You can buy Gone from Amazon US, Amazon UK or The Book Depository.

1 comment:

  1. I love your review! You answered all my questions about this book, mainly how exciting the plot is. Thanks! This is a pretty long book, and I have to admit, the (US) cover always kind of turned me off. Silly, I know.

    Then I read the Everworld series by K.A. Applegate and Michael Grant (only Applegate's name is on the books though)and I absolutely loved that series. It's non-stop heart pounding action, and that's what I was hoping Gone would be like. Sounds like it is! I can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!